Friday, April 6, 2012

Stacked Roasted Vegetable Mexican Lasagna...or Something Like That

Found this delicious recipe on Pinterest. Actually called Stacked Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas, I found the name to be misleading as there is no enchilada sauce involved! (Though adding enchilada sauce could be a nice addition. Next time!) With that, I decided to change the name. It's more like a Mexican lasagna or casserole. In any case, this dish was absolutely fresh, delicious, and quite healthy! Just look at all the colors! A wonderful array of veggies!
I tried to stick close to the recipe for the first attempt, but I did change up some veggies. Instead of cauliflower, I opted for zucchini, and because Trader Joe's did not have poblano chiles, I went for jalapenos. This recipe can easily be customized in that you can fill it with your favorite veggies. It also is completely satisfying but not at all heavy. Just a note, if you are in a hurry, this is not be the best option for dinner, but it is definitely worth the time!

Prep time: 30 - 40 minutes
Cook time: 50 - 70 minutes
Servings: 6 -8

Ingredients:
* 1 jalapeno (or poblano chile), cut into matchsticks
* 2 red bell peppers, cut into matchsticks
* 2 zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch wedges
* 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
* 1 medium onion, halved and slivered
* 1/2 cup corn, frozen
* 3 tbsp grapeseed oil (I eyeball it and probably use a little more)
* 2 tsp cumin
* 3 cloves garlic, minced (I use Trader Joe's garlic from the jar. So easy!)
* Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning
* Salt and Pepper (I did without the salt)
* 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
* Salsa
* Trader Joe's Tomato-less Corn Chili Salsa
* Pico de Gallo
* About 6 oz fresh baby spinach
* 7-8 corn tortillas (I ended up splitting them in halves or fourths to cover my pan)
* 2 cups Trader Joe's Lite Mexican Blend Cheeses (More or less, again I eyeball it)
* Green onions, guacamole, sour cream for garnish, if desired

Directions:
~ Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly oil a large shallow roasting pan or rimmed cookie sheet.
~ Place jalapeno, bell peppers, zucchini, sweet potato, onion, and corn kernels into pan. Drizzle with your heat-safe oil and sprinkle cumin and minced garlic evenly over veggies. Add a generous amount of seasonings, and using your hands, mix everything together. Spread evenly across the pan and roast for 30 to 40 minutes until veggies are tender and begin to have brown spots. Every 10 minutes, stir the pan to make sure all veggies are evenly roasted. Remove pan and reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.

Look how delicious these roasted veggies are!

~ Prepare a 9x13x2 inch rectangle baking pan with nonstick spray. Spread about 1/2 cup of salsa on the bottom and sprinkle with some cilantro. Add a layer of tortilla pieces that completely cover the salsa. Top with 1/2 the veggies, a handful of spinach, 1/2 the cheese. Make a second layer of tortilla, add the TJ tomato-less corn chili salsa, the other half of the veggies, another handful of spinach, the pico de gallo, and more cheese. Cover with aluminum foil. **The original recipe called for 3 layers and a smaller pan, but I just did not see how that would work!**

This is right before getting covered with the foil and going into the oven.
~ Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil (I sprinkled a little more cheese on at this point) and bake another 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted and everything is heated through.
~ Let sit for 5 minutes and cut into squares. Sprinkle with scallions. I think guacamole could be good on top. I added a little more pico de gallo. Sour cream, hot sauce, whatever you fancy!

I was so eager to try it, I forgot to take a picture until after we ate!

My notes: The next time I make this, I will be adding a 14 oz can of black beans and green chilis to the layers. I might also try adding some taco seasoning to give it a different flavor or maybe even that enchilada sauce! Honestly, the possibilities are endless! Customize it to your tastes, though I recommend first trying it as is for the most part.

HAPPY COOKING!






No comments:

Post a Comment