Friday, April 20, 2012

Sandwiches...the best food or THE best food?

Sandwiches might just be my favorite food. There are so many things you could do with sandwiches. Hot or cold, veggie or fruit filled, meat, cheese, peanut butter/jelly, the possibilities are endless! Thank God for the Earl of Sandwich and his need to eat while playing cards. You see, the Earl of Sandwich was playing a rousing game of cards when his servant brought him meat and bread on a plate. He wanted to continue playing cards so he asked his servant to put the meat in the bread so his hand would stay clean and not get meat juices all over his hands and the cards. And thus the sandwich was born, but I digress.

Since my husband was away on business, I decided to make myself a grilled vegetable panini. There is a deli I love to go to that has a grilled vegetable panini that is to die for! Since I can't be spending $9 every time, I decided it's easy enough to make it at home, so that's what I did. I just made a variation of it using what I already had in the fridge.

Grilled Vegetable Panini

Ingredients:
* 2 slices of sourdough wheat bread
* 2 pieces of marinated, roasted red pepper
* 5-6 marinated artichoke hearts
* A small handful of sundried tomatoes in oil
* 6 round zucchini slices
* Fresh basil
* Havarti cheese
* Pesto basil sauce
* Olive oil
**Note** I got all my ingredients at Trader Joe's! The peppers, artichokes, and sundried tomatoes all come in jars!

Directions:
~ (I lightly sauteed the zucchini in a little olive oil and sprinkle with TJ's Everyday Seasoning but this is optional.)  Lightly brush olive oil on the bread. Layer a fair amount of pesto, add basil and cheese. Put veggies on a small plate an zap in the microwave for 45 seconds. Pile onto the sandwich. Toast on a griddle until each side is golden. Cut in half and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment