Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Golden Love

Every since I was a kid, I've always wanted a puppy. No matter how often I begged and pleaded, my parents never got a puppy. Now that I'm a married, adult woman, I can get a puppy if I want to, but wait, the apartment I live in does not allow dogs. So since I can't have one, I decided to volunteer. Though I love most all puppies, I have always had a special place in my heart for golden retrievers. With that in mind, I opted to volunteer with the Golden Retriever Club of Greater Los Angeles Rescue.

This rescue has been helping abandoned and neglected goldens in the Southern California area for many years. There are many opportunities to help out this foundation. I decided to work directly with the dogs. Since I can't foster or adapt the pups, I chose to, rather simply, just be a dog walker. When the pups are pulled from shelters or given up, they must go to one of the local pet hospitals that partner with the GRCGLAR. There they get check-ups and any surgeries they might need. Before they are adopted or fostered, I take them for walks while they are at the hospital. It's so simple, but the dogs are usually scared and don't understand why they were abandoned. I love spending time with these dogs, and I like to think they like seeing a familiar, friendly face while they are boarded at the hospital.

If anyone is looking to get a puppy/dog, look into the GRCGLAR. Don't buy a pet, adopt from this rescue or any rescue or animal shelter. Also if you're interested in volunteering, look into it. Not necessarily for this foundation, but any foundation. Give back. Even if it's something small like simply walking a dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment