Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Great Urban Race

Yesterday Drew and I competed with 500 other people in the Great Urban Race in Santa Monica. It's basically a small (very small) scale version of the Amazing Race. I have always love the Amazing Race and dream of what it would be like to go on the show. But alas, like so many, my efforts of attempting to get on the show have gotten me no where. The Great Urban Race is for all of us that have that urge for adventure, puzzle-solving, and competition.

When I saw the Groupon deal for this, I knew I had to join the fun. Though the morning started off cold and drizzly, it turned into a beautiful day. We started on the Santa Monica pier and ran/walked a sizable area of Santa Monica for 3 hours. We had to find 12 locations and either solve puzzles, eat something, or do something like ride a segway. We by no means came close to winning the top prize, but we had a blast. If the Great Urban Race is in your city, I recommend competing in it!




My tips if you decide to try it:
* Take a map you can write on.
* Once you receive the clues, solve them all and map them on your map.
* Unless you want to really try and win, walk or run, don't take public transit if you can. It's a workout.
* Bring water and snacks.
* Don't stress about it, have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment