Saturday, September 24, 2011

Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto

As Drew flies to the Land of the Rising Sun today, I reflect on my time spent in Japan in the spring of 2007. Kobe, Japan was my last international stop on an educational circumnavigation of the world. I wasn't in Kobe long though. As soon as we were cleared by customs, my friend Matt and I went to the train station to use our Japan Rail Pass. Tokyo or bust. Tokyo is east of Kobe and about a 2 hour ride on the Shinkansen (bullet train).

In Tokyo, Matt and I wandered and experienced. What every traveler should do. Some highlights include:

* A full night (10pm-6am) of karaoke and horrible sleep with 4 other fellow shipmates. There was a lot of sake and laughter involved. My friend Rick took some amazing footage of the evening.
::Note, my friend Kyle who is singing in the video is currently a singing sensation in Vietnam right now. We knew him before he was famous::

* Walking the perimeter of the Imperial Gardens.


* A ride up in the Park Hyatt Hotel elevator. Lost in Translation was filmed there and we wanted to get a drink at the bar. The cover charge was outrageous. It was a pleasant elevator ride.


* A stroll through the distinctive Harajuku district.

* 16 minutes of memories at Staple Land or Palette Town.


* The delicious sushi, noodles, and bento boxes.

* An enjoyable night at the Seafort.


* The interactive photo booths where nothing is in English.

* Speaking of English, all the crazy signs translated into English.


* A traditional tea ceremony.


* Finally finding the Godzilla statue after probably passing it countless times. I thought it would be bigger than a 3 foot statue on a 4 foot slab. Silly me thinking Godzilla was a giant creature.


After an incredible time in Tokyo, Matt and I headed to southwest. We did Hiroshima by day, Kyoto by night.



Despite the devastating destruction of Hiroshima, the Japanese promote the importance of peace and preventing something like this from ever happening again. It was powerful and educational.

By night time, we were in Kyoto enjoying the freshest, most amazing sushi ever. And maybe a little sake...


Overall, Japan is an incredible place. I love that I have so many wonderful memories, and I am so elated Drew gets to experience Japan.

Sayonara.

No comments:

Post a Comment